Fall is the perfect time to be in Connecticut! There are so many beautiful farms and orchards in and around our area, that I wanted to highlight a few you should visit in the coming months. Also, check out the recipe I posted from one of my favorite local Connecticut bloggers, Nesting with Grace. Just a little baking inspiration! Without further ado…
Beardsley’s Cider Mill and Orchard in Shelton, CT offer “Pick Your Own” from 10-5 every weekend, weather permitting. They also provide a guide with the varieties of apples available each month. Mid September you can expect Gala, Honeycrisp (my fave), Jonagold, Macoun, Cortland, and Liberty apples. They also have a Cider Mill store open daily from 10-5:30. Check them out on social media and stay up to date!
Facebook: Beardsley’s Cider Mill and Orchard
Bishop’s Orchards is another amazing place to take the family on a beautiful Autumn day! They are located at 1355 Boston Post Road in Guilford and offer “Pick Your Own” on weekends and Columbus Day from 10-5. They have a farm market that is not to be missed, complete with gorgeous baked goods, fresh fruits and vegetables, a delicious prepared foods section (best chicken pot pie around), and don’t forget the wine!! You can call them at 203-458-PICK for updates.
Facebook: Bishop’s Orchards and Farm Market
If you are in the Cheshire area, visit Hickory Hill Orchards. With over 33 acres, the orchard produces over twenty varieties of apples, peaches, pears, plums, and nectarines for picking, eating, baking, and enjoying. The artisanal country store offers all of their homegrown produce and gourds, jams, honeys, locally baked apple cider donuts, gourmet foods, seasonal decorative items, and more. They offer “Pick Your Own” everyday from 9:30-6pm through November. Call them at 203-272-3824, or follow them on social media for updates. Current apple variety schedules are as follows:
Mid Sept- Cortland and Empire
Late Sept- Macoun
Later Sept- Jonagold, Red Delicious, Russet, Northern Spy
Early Oct- Ida Red, Golden Delicious, Mutzu
Mid Oct- Cameo, Rome, Winesap
Late Oct- Braeburn, Granny Smith
Facebook: Hickory Hill Orchards
Finally, Lyman Orchards, located in Middlefield offers “Pick Your Own” daily from 9-6pm. They are celebrating 275 years!!! They have a 24 hour hotline (860-310-1317), and offer group visits (860-295-3105). Make a day of it and visit the Apple Barrel- you can find the ridiculously amazing menu on their website. Grab some of their award winning pies or a gift basket on the way out!! They provide some tips on their site that may come in handy…
- Park safely off the road, in our clearly marked “Picking” parking areas
- For everyone’s safety, do not throw fruit, and do not run through the orchards and picking fields.
- Drive slowly and carefully through the orchards, watching for children, adults, and animals that may cross the roads.
- Do not shake or climb the trees.
- Walk carefully through the orchards. To many animals the Orchard is home. Watch for their burrow holes. For this reason, pets (with the exception of guide dogs) are prohibited from entering the picking areas.
- All “pickings” must be weighed and paid for at each designated Picking Booth.
- Pick only what you want. Do not pick fruits and discard them on the ground. When picking, handle produce carefully. Treat the plants and trees with respect.
- Pick only in designated areas. Each day we check the fruits for ripeness and suitability for picking. Picking in undesignated areas will affect the quality and shelf life of your fruit.
- Use only containers provided by our staff, or which you have brought and have had pre-weighed by our Picking Booth staff.
- Children under age 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Most importantly…Have fun!